Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Raw Berry Ice Cream w/ rasperry-lavender compote



Ice cream is one of my absolute favorite things to both make and eat. I got an ice cream maker for christmas and since then, my exploration into the world of frozen deliciousness has sent me into the abyss. A little creativity, and you could set up some of the most astounding flavors your tastebuds have ever been introduced to.

With heat among us, I figured a simple berry ice cream would make an excellent dessert. So simple, so common, yet so delicious!



Raw Berry Ice Cream
w/raspberry-lavender compote

Ingredients:
1 c Cashews
1/4 c Raw Almond Butter
(My favorite is made by Mara-Nantha)
1 c Water
1 c Mixed frozen berries
1 tbsp Himalayan Sea Salt

Method:

-Blend all of the ingredients into your blender or food processor. Make sure to blend until smooth and creamy.

-Pour into your ice cream maker and follow the instructions for your make and model. Now if you do not own an ice cream maker, then place the mixture into the freezer for about 2 hours. Then stir everything and place it into your refrigerator for about 1 hour.


Compote Ingredients:

1 c raspberries(frozen or fresh)
8 tbsp. fresh lavender
1 tsp. raw honey

Method:

-Blend ingredients in your blender or food processor until it forms a chunky puree.

-Chill for at least 10 minutes (if you can wait that long!)


This fancy-ish dessert is as simple as that! Blend it up, let it freeze, and you suddenly have something that is not only rich, creamy and sounds like it belongs on a 5 star menu, but one of the healthiest desserts you may ever encounter (especially if you are relatively new to living foods and raw eating).

My family had mixed opinions on it. My mom said the ice cream itself didn't have enough of a sweet aspect to it, but that the raspberry compote countered that and fit in nicely. Personally, I think that the ice cream was incredibly creamy, but I might have added more berries next time.


Also, quick tip. MaraNantha is the ONLY raw almond butter I use and I would strongly suggest this product for so many reasons. It is a bit expensive, but it is a great consistency which i havnt been able to find in other raw nut butters. It's also organic, and i have seen jars of it at almost every grocery store i shop at so finding it isn't any trouble. Check them out!


What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

-Andrew Morrison-


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this nutbutter!
    Have you heard about almonds being pasteurized?
    I think these are- but i still enjoy this sometimes!
    Only real almonds that aren't pasteurized are ones from italy. (we order them) its illegal 'not' to pasteurize them here. They also sell a lot of awesome nutbutters online at oneluckyduck.com. my personal favorite

    ReplyDelete